Where The Lone Star State Meets The Puget Sound
A Fine Mesh Of Two Great Styles

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Friday Finds! To Chalk Paint Or Not To Chalk Paint.

Friday was a mother's day out for me. Well of course I'm too old to have kids at home but sometimes I just need a little break from my dogs! They are my kids!
So my friend Linda and I planned a grand outing. We got an early start~ 10 AM.
{Hey at our age that is totally early}
We had no real structure and we were under no time constraints.

So, as my mother in law used to say, "but first we'll have coffee"~

Hey, I'm always up for coffee! Ooh La Latte!
Our new favorite place is the local Co-op

Of course we couldn't possibly have just coffee.  L*O*V*E Carrot Cake! Carrots are healthy, right? And it's the Co-op. Everything there is organic!


 Feeling well satisfied and buzzed on sugar and caffeine, we decided to head to Michael's. That's one place from which we never leave empty handed!  And I had a coupon...


Off we go again. Next stop? A local flea market.
Look what I found!


What a delight to stumble upon this wooden box! I am in desperate need of blanket storage.


Uh oh... this corner needs a little attention.



{I seriously love the hardware}

I'm tellin' ya' what. This baby came straight from somebody's shed. It has rusty hardware, a little stray paint, and a whole lot of dirt. Wait until you see the inside.
Are you ready?


SOS!
It's a mess! And part of the bottom is missing.
However, this box has big potential. 
Captain Larry is on a trip but in our online chat last night he promised me he could do a minor rebuild.
A few new planks, a little wood glue and it's good to go.

And now the million dollar question. Annie Sloan Chalk Paint or left natural?
Can I seriously love a naked box?
I sincerely don't know what to do. I need your help.
How about a little clear wax and call it good?
Listen, new bloggers such as I covet comments. I would really love it if you would weigh in. Indulge me!

 I hope you had a wonderful weekend. Did you do something especially fun or relaxing? I hope you had as much fun as we did.
Come visit me this week. I am participating in

And

Please visit these classy blogs.

     Wishing you sunshine and a cool summer breeze!     

                 Dana





3 comments:

  1. Hey, I was drooling over the carrot cake and coffee and then I saw the chest you found at the flea market. As to paint or leave it natural.. well, most of my furniture is 'natural', so I'm not really a good one to ask, but I'd say if the wood is nice and fits in with your other furniture then wax it and leave it natural. If you have a shabby chic look already going, then paint it. The only thing is there doesn't seem to be a lot of detail on the chest. Do you think the chalk paint would inhance it? Now how's that for an answer?...lol I'm no help.
    Looking forward to seeing how it turns out,
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, again.I just became your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh. Gorgeous chest. I'm with Babs. If au naturelle fits your current style, leave it. Personally, I would paint it and distress it to let some of the natural wood peek through. I would leave the hardware alone though. The hinges are gorgeous and would stand out so much better against paint. Beautiful either way though!

    And yep. Carrots are a veggie! You're good.

    ReplyDelete