Where The Lone Star State Meets The Puget Sound
A Fine Mesh Of Two Great Styles

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Annie Sloan~ My First Project. WOW!

It's Wednesday and that means that Kim, designer extraordinaire of Savvy Southern Style is hosting her Wow Us Wednesdays weekly event.

What I have to show and tell today is so modest compared to the other posts~


Ya' gotta love this tray. It was given to me by mom when she moved from the Midwest to the Desert Southwest. I really blew it in that it never occurred to me to take a 'before' photo of my treasure. Previously, the tray was framed in a very dated walnut with even more highly dated drawer pulls (like you might find on a bedroom dresser from a few decades gone by). So use your imagination; I'm sure you can picture it.

The tray is hanging above the back splash in my kitchen and really makes a statement. However, it still works equally well as a serving piece~ as you can see.


OK, so now for the Annie Sloan paint. I bought my first can ever {graphite} from a couple of adorable girls in Arlington, Washington. Check them out at The Bella Bungalow. Kim and Kelly are the local Stockists for Annie Sloan.

I also bought a can of dark wax. The process was brief and painless. I used masking tape around the inside perimeter of the tiles as protection.  Next I painted on (using a 1" artist brush) two coats of paint. The graphite color is quite blue... not a bad complement to the tiles but it needed to be darker to really  make the tiles stand out. So under the good advise of Kim I waxed my frame with the dark wax. It looks really good now. I mean REALLY good. I love it!


I really, really did not like the old drawer pulls. They were even screwed on with shiny bright metal screws with large heads. Quite by accident (because I couldn't get the screws out of one side) I discovered that these two-part drawer pulls looked pretty cool after I removed the handle.

 

So I decided to leave these little knobs simply to add interest. I also painted the cheap looking screw heads with the graphite paint. You see, Annie Sloan Chalk Paint will cover almost any surface.

My tray is about 20 years old. I guess by Etsy standards it is now vintage. The tiles are timeless and so very traditional. And to me, {blue and white} is the new neutral. I have something blue in every room. Very British if you ask me. And I am somewhat of an Anglophile.

I thank you sincerely for stopping by my blog. Don't forget to drop in at Kim's.



Keep Calm and Carry On!

     Dana


Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. That looks great. I have not tried graphite yet. I love the scene on that tray. Thanks for joining the party and I wish I was a designer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not tried out graphite either but the tray turned out great!! Thanks for stopping by my site and leaving a kind comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pretty tray and a lovely colour. Thanks so much for stopping by and becoming a follower. I'm following you now, too. Your blog looks very interesting and I'm going to check out more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dana,
    The tiles just pop with the new paint color...I like how it turned out. Great job. Have a wonderful weekend.

    Oh, and thank you for the very sweet comment you left for me :-) Made my day.

    Hugs and Kisses,
    ♥Ana

    ReplyDelete