Where The Lone Star State Meets The Puget Sound
A Fine Mesh Of Two Great Styles

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Photo Garland




Here is another of my favorite projects from this Advent season.  This is a modification of a garland that was posted on Dear Lillie last year.  I bookmarked it in hopes that I might be organized enough this year to create one for myself.

The success of this project depends upon the details~

I really like the wire cable I purchased by the foot from Lowe's.  It hangs just right with no slack.  It looks just a tad industrial, which for some reason I'm attracted to, and it was just $.27 per foot.  And I especially love how my husband created the loops in each end of the cable because it looks so finished.  Lowe's also sells the little metal pieces for crimping, which I hope you can see in the below photo.



I used color digital photos from the past twelve months, but I modified the color saturation using Picasa so that the photos are now black and white.  I had to upload them to a photo processing website,  MPIX,  in order to have them printed as 3.5 X 5 inch photos.  I was hoping to achieve a retro look; a sort of old photo album feel that was so prevalent during the first half of the prior century.  There are not very many places to get this size print anymore but MPIX provides a myriad of size choices.

The photos are mounted on basic black card stock.  I followed Dear Lillie's lead and used photo corners, and I especially like the metal bookplates with little labels that remind us of the date or event of each photo.  





I think this string of photos looks better hanging in front of this green garland than it would have hanging alone or against a less festive background.  I chose to use only one clothespin per picture because I felt it was a little more tailored.  I didn't want the clothespins to be a focal point, but rather the photo itself.

My garland of memories is hanging above the kitchen sink.  We spend the most of our holiday time in the kitchen, right? At least for us, the kitchen is the heart of our home so it's the best place to showcase special memories.

Thanks for having a look!  Sending tidings of comfort and joy...

Linking to: Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch.




2 comments:

  1. Dana, this is fabulous! I love the personal photos and how you mounted them and finished them with the metal bookplates! Your garland looks great! I also love the industrial feel! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wesołych Świąt, szczęśliwego Nowego Roku 2013 dla całej Rodziny.
    Serdecznie pozdrawiam.

    ReplyDelete