Where The Lone Star State Meets The Puget Sound
A Fine Mesh Of Two Great Styles

Monday, December 17, 2012

Easy Advent Candles



If you, like I, enjoy decorating with neutrals and naturals, you might want to try this easy-to-follow Advent candle project.

To begin with, a shopping list: I bought a case of 12 pint sized Mason jars at our local Ace Hardware, and one carton of Epsom salts at Walgreen's.  In addition I bought a yard of muslin from Walmart for less than $2.  I found tea lights at Dollar Tree.



To get started, I tore the muslin into 1/2" strips, length wise.  If you don't like the selvage edge just tear it off too.  You will need half as many strips as the number of candles you are making because you cut each strip in half. OK, so I'm serious.  Cut a tiny slit in the fabric and then, "let her rip"!
 Raggy is good!

Take the lids from the jars and store them for future use.  Then tie a strip of muslin around the mouth of each jar.  I used a very casual square not.  The idea is to create a relaxed look so don't worry about making the knots perfect.

The next step is to fill the jars partially with the Epsom salts.  Just fill to a level that is pleasing to you, and drop a tea light candle into each jar.



To make the tags and the numbers I used a die cut machine (Cricut).  But you could alternately buy shipping tags from an office supply store and number them with a marker (my printing is not that good).

I have only days 20-25 on my counter because our son will be home during that week.  My plan is to read an Advent scripture each night and then light the corresponding candle.  On Christmas night, all 6 will be lighted.  But imagine how beautiful it would look to have an arrangement of all 25!


Do I have the world's tiniest creche?  Perhaps, but I love it.

Blessings~

1 comment:

  1. These are so cute! I love the tags with muslin! This is such a great idea! Thank you for sharing it! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete